Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Healthcentres

Ian has been injecting me with the anti-coagulants - you can imagine the scanario although he does have an advantage as I can't run away. As he was away on Monday I was going to go to the health centre. I must admit that I had a rather strange idea of how far I would be able to go on crutches, thinking I'd be hopping round the village in no time. The baker is about as far as I can get - which is only a couple of doors down and this entails resting on the way back. It was impossible to get to the health centre when Ian was away so I gave Emma, who was kindly staying with me for a week to help me when Ian was away, with a note and asked her to see Tony and Montse in their bar and see if they could ask for a nurse (any nurse) to come round. Tony has a bad back and is also going to the nurse regulary so he was going to ask when he went to the health centre. However a nurse didn't turn up which left us all a bit high and dry.

Tuesday was a Spanish holiday and Tony came round to get me and we went to the emergency clinic in Llerena to be injected. Me with the anticoagulants and him with his painkiller. We must have looked a right pair and we got injected at the same time, so we were stood there me exposing my stomach which now looks like a pin cushion and him his back. We buy our drugs from the famacia and keep them here, so I was amused by us sat in the waiting room with our hyperdermics clutched tightly...

Ian was supposed to be working away for a few months - however we have decided given the difficulties of only a couple of days and that is with Emma staying that it would be too difficult for me on my own - so sadly (or perhaps not...?) the saga of the broken ankle is having longer reaching effects.

The normal village doctor is away and I had my first visit with the locum doctor, I had written out some questions however he refered me to the hospital, where we met another of our neighbours who sent me to the health centre.

The first day at the next town health centre was ok - but the second day was horrible. Ian thought I was going to hit the doctor with a crutch. The person I saw at the healthcentre read my 'enforma', was muttering and shaking his head about my ankle and then as if to double check started prodding it so roughly that I screamed and clutched a crutch. Apparently neither the two 4 inch scars, nor the fact that the fracture is classified as severe did not suggest the pain that I might be in! He was also prodding around the staples at which point I was going to either faint or leave, but he was actually seeing if they were ready to come out. I am hopefully going to have half out next week - but what half.... If it is the same man then I am definately leaving, I can imagine him coming towards me with a staple remover, or screw driver to prise them out.

I've run out of anti coagulants which we will have to get tomorrow. I have to take these for another few weeks. Ian is very gentle and quick, but my whole middle is feeling very sore. He keeps telling me that these are a lot smaller needles than he used to inject the goats. I did point out that goat skin is likely to be a bit tougher than me. Well hopefully.

No comments: